31st October 2015

Trinity Mirror Confirms Purchase of Local World

Local World has been purchased by Trinity Mirror in a deal worth £220M.


When Local World was created three years ago, it was valued at £100M.

However in 2015, Local World has been purchased by Trinity Mirror in a deal which values the regional publisher at £220M.

Trinity Mirror aims to cut costs on Local World's existing regional newspapers. The company aims to cut £12M from Local World's budget.

Around £3.2M of the cuts will come from 'content generation'.

 

A 20% stake in Local World was already owned by Trinity Mirror, but a statement said that the company would buy the remaining 80% of Local World for £154.4M.

The combination of Local World and Trinity Mirror will make it the UK's biggest local newspaper publisher.

The combined weekly circulation of all titles will be 9M. This will include 36 daily newspapers, 88 weekly paid-for newspapers, 43 weekly free newspapers, five Sunday newspapers, and eight franchises.

The acquisition of Local World means that the company will be triple the size of the two next biggest regional publishers: Johnston Press and Newsquest.

Both Johnston Press and Newsquest have a combined weekly print circulation of 5M copies.

 

"The acquisition values Local World on a debt-free cash-free basis at £220 million. The purchase price for the 80.02 per cent. shareholding not already owned by Trinity Mirror is £154.4 million, being the Sellers' total share of the equity value of £193 million. Trinity Mirror will also assume debt, working capital and debt-like items of circa £27 million and will incur some £6 million of transaction costs at completion which together with the equity consideration represents total consideration of £187.4 million." said a Trinity Mirror announcement.

 

 

 
Keep in touch
Get our free weekly retail
newsstand report
Enter your email below for our free weekly retail newsstand report, InterMedia updates and relevant industry news. You
can easily unsubscribe at any time. Click here for our privacy policy.
Get in touch

Unit 6 The Enterprise Centre
Kelvin Lane, Crawley,
RH10 9PE

Registered in England & Wales: InterMedia Brand
Marketing Limited. 07256268. Registered Office: North
Quay House, Sutton Harbour, Plymouth. PL4 0RA
Accredited by ABC for reporting standards, providing our
publishers with data their suppliers can trust.

An associate member of The Professional Publishers
Association, with the common commitment of working
towards a prosperous multi-platform media industry.
Subscribe today
Enter your email below to subscribe
for InterMedia free weekly newsstand
reports, updates and industry news.
You can easily unsubscribe at any time using the link at the
bottom of any of our emails, or by emailing us. Click here
to read our full privacy policy.
Part of the InterGo Group
The InterGo group work together
seamlessly to connect and deliver
brands to consumers.
© 2021 InterMedia Brand Marketing Limited. All rights
reserved. InterMedia is a trademark of InterMedia Brand
Marketing Limited. All content, trademarks, artwork and
associated imagery are trademarks and/or copyright
material of their owners.
We love cookies
This website uses cookies based on your browsing activity. By continuing
to use this website you consent to our Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy.